West Coast Chili (gluten free)
This is a fun play on the classic beef and Cabernet Sauvignon pairing. We created a fairly mild chili, keeping in mind that spice usually makes tannin more pronounced. In this case, the sweet potato in the recipe also moves the flavor profile in a sweet and savory direction while adding more richness and texture. Our 2017 North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon is layered with dark fruits and savory olive notes. The silky tannin structure easily carries through to the end and is a wonderful complement to our West coast chili.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 90 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 50 min
- Yield: 6-8 servings
1 ½ lbs. Grass-fed ground beef
2 green onions (chopped)
1 medium white onion (diced)
1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
1 small sweet potato (diced)
1 13oz. can crushed tomato
1 cup dry white wine
2 13oz cans pinto beans drained and rinsed
¼ cup BBQ sauce
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
½ cup mayo
¼ cup sriracha
3 Teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 Teaspoon turmeric
½ Teaspoon garlic power
1 large avocado
- Season ground beef with 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Sear beef on medium heat in large cast iron or Dutch oven pot. Work in batches and allow space for the meat to brown properly and the spices to toast.
- Remove beef from pot and drain fat into container to discard later. Leave a bit of fat or add some cooking oil to the pot and add both green and white onion.
- Cook onion for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add bell pepper, pinto beans and sweet potato and last teaspoon of salt. Cook 2-3 minutes stirring in with onions.
- Deglaze pot with white wine and add the ground beef back to the pot.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bbq sauce, and yellow mustard and turn heat down to simmer.
- At this point you may add a bit of water while you simmer depending on how thick you like your chili. Initially, you should simmer a minimum of 30-40 minutes, but the longer you cook the chili, you can continue to add water as the liquid cooks off. Continue to season as it simmers if you feel it needs more salt or paprika.
- Serve in bowl topped with sliced avocado and tortilla chips