The short rib & mushroom braising liquid makes for a perfect flavor addition when finishing the rice. This dish is full of winter comfort, richness and layers of savory deliciousness. Our 2018 BonAnno Cab is loaded with classic ripe red and black fruits and complemented with cedar, damp earth, and tobacco overtones. A firm balance of layered acid and tannin give the wine a great long finish.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 6 hrs
- Total Time: 6 hrs 15 min
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
Short Rib Ingredients
3.5–4lbs beef short ribs
1/4 Cup olive oil
2-3 medium onions sliced
10-12 cloves of garlic peeled (nearly the whole head)
10–12 sprigs Fresh Thyme
3/4 lb. baby bella mushrooms (whole caps but destemmed)
2 TBS Olive oil
2 each shallots diced
1 cup Arborio rice
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup white wine
1.5 tablespoons of sea salt
1/2 cup grated parmesan and/or pecorino cheese
1 TBS fresh thyme (no stems)
2 TBS butter
2 TBS chopped parsley
Short Rib Directions
- Season short ribs the night before or the morning of with olive oil and generous amounts of kosher salt and black pepper so they are heavily seasoned.
- When ready to begin cooking, remove marinated short ribs from refrigerator for one hour.
- Coat a large cast iron pan or dutch oven with the more oil and sear the short ribs on all sides. Allow space between the ribs so they can brown.
- Remove short ribs from pan and set aside.
- Layer bottom of crock pot with sliced onion, thyme sprigs, mushroom caps and garlic.
- Set short ribs on top of vegetables and cover.
- Cook in crock pot on high (or 300 degrees) for 2.5-3 hours, then switch to lower setting (200 or 250 degrees) for the remaining 2 hours.
- When short ribs are nearly finished, start the risotto.
- Add olive oil to saute pan with diced shallots and cook on medium heat until shallots are translucent (2-3 minutes).
- Add rice and a pinch of salt.
- Saute the rice with the oil and shallots for one minute until well blended.
- Deglaze pan with white wine.
- Add chicken stock ½ a cup at a time, allow liquid to reduce, stir, and add another ½ cup. Continue the process until the chicken stock is finished.
- Stir in fresh thyme, cheese and butter.
- Add mushrooms from short rib braising liquid when finishing the risotto. This will add more richness.
- Plate risotto and garnish with more parmesan and fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve the short rib on top of risotto.